Here is an attempt at laying down a roadmap for the development of Libgda.
Here is a list of features which will at some point integrated into Libgda:
- have connections completely thread safe, with all the operations potentially non blocking and executed each in its own thread, and better integrate in main loop (specifically for UI applications)
allow using Lua scripting to customize some behaviours
- support for NoSQL databases using virtual connections: one will be able to run SQL on top of these connections
- support for Firebird
- support security filtering for each connection (to deny non allowed queries, for example to only authorize queries which SELECT data from some tables and only at some times)
more features in GdaBrowser (reports, data migration, schema synchronization)
If you have any specific requirement, please let me know by sending an email to the GnomeDB mailing list (email@example.com), or by filling a bug report in bugzilla for Libgda requesting a new feature (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=libgda)
This is now the current stable version. It mainly fixes some annoying issues with the 5.0 version. Also support for GObject introspection has been improved, and a Vala extension has been added.
Compared to the 4.2 version it:
- uses GTK+ 3.x
- has removed deprecated symbols
- is API compatible but not ABI compatible with the 4.2 version
- has LDAP support (using virtual connections and as direct functions)
- has better GObject Introspection
- includes automatic Vala bindings
Compared to the 4.0 version, the 4.2 version:
- integrates the UI extension
features a graphical tool: GdaBrowser
has a new database provider: the Web provider which allows one to connect to a database through a web server. The web server must be configured to allow such connections (and needs to have PHP support)
has a new database provider to access Berkeley DB through its new SQL API (which relies on SQLite's one); both this provider and SQLite provider can be used at the same time.
- Read only LDAP support starting from version 4.2.8